University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital
University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital has been dedicated to meeting the health care needs of children and families for more than 90 years. As Iowa’s only comprehensive children’s hospital, we provide care for children from birth to young adulthood. Services range from promoting wellness to the care of general childhood illness, surgery, traumatic injuries, life-threatening and chronic illnesses, and developmental disabilities. As part of an academic medical center, University of Iowa Children’s Hospital also performs groundbreaking research to help solve the mysteries of childhood diseases, in addition to training the next generation of health care professionals.
- Only hospital in Iowa nationally ranked by U.S.News & World Report as one of the country’s “Best Children’s Hospitals.” 2013-2014 rankings: cancer (30); cardiology and heart surgery (34); diabetes and endocrinology (43); nephrology (25); neurology and neurosurgery (30); orthopedics (27); pulmonology (47)
- First hospital in Iowa to receive Magnet designation for nursing excellence (2004, re-verified in 2008, 2013)
- First and only hospital in Iowa to earn designation as a Level 1 Trauma Center for pediatrics from the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons (2009)
- Selected by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as a Quality Care Award recipient (2009).
- OptumHealth Care Solutions designates our neonatal intensive care (2012) and pediatric bone marrow transplant (2008) services as “Centers of Excellence.” The pediatric heart transplant program received Transplant Access Program designation in 2008.
- Only Iowa hospital accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL) for pediatric transthoracic, transesophageal, and fetal echocardiography.
- Designated by the Administration for Developmental Disabilities as Iowa’s University Center of Excellence on Developmental Disabilities.
- More than 40 pediatric specialties
- More than 170 pediatric physicians, surgeons, and dentists
- More than 500 specially trained pediatric nurses
- Last year, the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital cared for 57,872 patients from every county in Iowa, every state in the United States, and eight countries.
- For more information on the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital please visit its website or contact Brittany Wellman.
In continued support, proceeds from the the twelfth annual Iowa Children’s Open & Kick-Off Scramble will help fund the construction of the new University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital. This new facility will consolidate the pediatric medical services currently spread throughout the hospital complex, and will be a special healing environment for children and their families. As the hub of a system of care for the entire state, current programs will be expanded and new services offered at the hospital and throughout Iowa to meet the current and future needs of Iowa’s children. More information is available on the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital building website.